Bessarabian and Volga Deutsch research is in many ways similar to other genealogical research, but in other ways it is quite unique. Like any genealogy or family history research, Germans from the Black Sea Region Research requires you have a good, sound foundation in the conduct of historical, genealogical research. If you do not already have a reliable degree of competency or comfort in the conduct of genealogical/ historical research, I recommend you check out the free courses and materials discussed on the ManyRoads’ Genealogy: Getting Started .
Because the Germans from those regions originated from the German Empire and/or Kingdom of Prussia and were ultimately expelled from their homes in the Black Sea & Volga Region (Russia & Bessarabia) after the mid-1940s, many Prussian-German-Polish research techniques and databases apply. If you are unfamiliar with researching those regions, you will find the following ManyRoads’ guidance helpful: Prussian-German-Polish Free Genealogy Help.
Once you feel you are on reasonably firm footing, with the more traditional German-Prussian genealogical/ historical research mentioned above, the following links, maps, texts are appropriate.
Germans from Volga & Bessarabia
- Ahnen und Sippen der Bessarabiendeutschen
- AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF GERMANS FROM RUSSIA
- Bessarabia Homeland of a German minority
- Bessarabia Regional Interest Group
- Bessarabiendeutscher Verein e.V.
- Black Sea German Research Group
- Center for Volga Germans Studies (CVGS) at Concordia University
- Familienforschung in Bessarabien
- Germans from Russian Heritage
- Geschichte der Wolgadeutschen Kolonien
- Hannowka – Ein deutsches Dorf in Bessarabien 1896-1940
- History of the Mother Colonies of Bessarabia
- History of the Russian Germans
- Kirchenbücher von Mennonitengemeinden- Mennonite Church Books
- Klöstitz, Bessarabien
- Linguistic Map of the Volga German Mother Colonies
- NORKA (Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic)
- Odessa a German-Russian Genealogical Library
- Russian Mennonite Genealogical Resources
- Scholtoi in Bessarabien
- Wittenberg/Bessarabien – und Vorfahren aus Württemberg
- Wolgadeutsche (Russian)
- Wolgadeutsche.net- (Russian)
For additional free guidance on conducting German, Prussian, Polish, Jewish, Mennonite research, please visit ManyRoads' Prussian-German Free Genealogy Help page.
For additional guidance on conducting Shoah-Holocaust research, please visit ManyRoads' Shoah-Holocaust Free Research Help page.
If you are seeking professional "personalized" research support, please visit our Services page.
A Subscription helps fund our work,
it, also, entitles you to "Subscriber" features with
pop-up free use of ManyRoads.