Just so folks know a bit about where ManyRoads is (I am) heading with this effort, and my primary motivation, I’ll offer an explanation and insight into my plan(s)- a basic ‘blueprint’. My plan is to ultimately build a single page that offers access to multiple mega-search engines, each one of the mega-search engines extracting their results from topical and area-specific sites.
The Rationale (Problem Statement):
- It is difficult to identify and discover new genealogical clues, especially from those regions with scare or scattered data sets.
- Non-US data is very difficult to find ‘easily’. (US & English data abounds.. other data is more more scattered and difficult to obtain.)
- Standard/ typical searches focus on highly ranked websites, and thus skew the results to those locations, often swamping smaller but valuable information.
- Most tools and databases are geared towards US (or other English-speaking) data storage approaches, traditions, and archives.
- Develop a group of search capabilities that access largely be non-US, areas of interest.
- Search sites that are generally not high on Google’s radar.
- Search in the language(s) of region(s) of interest.
- Avoid any/all use of for-fee sites.
My primary interest in developing these tools, is to create a set of search tools that help me (and others) identify/ unearth ‘hard to find’ clues for client and/or personal research. Because these tools are initially focused on the ManyRoads areas of interest, the engines initially will include:
- Quebec (French Canada)
- Mennonite/Amish (Swiss, Prussian, Alsace, Russian/Lithuanian)
- …yes, I guess, I am a bit narrow minded and selfish.
Three mega-search engines are currently in beta test on ManyRoads. These include:
- Top 100 Genealogy Sites Mega-Search
- German/ Prussian Mega-Search Engine (This is part of a larger help area designed to provide Free help researching Prussia & Germany. (Prussian-German Free Genealogy Help)
- Polish Mega-Search Engine
Development of a single point of entry Mega-search Engine page is also on the docket for release soon. A link to all of our Mega-search Engine page will also be placed on the landing page for ManyRoads. If you have not already tried these search engines out, please do. I welcome your feedback. Links to all search engines mentioned are in this thread above.
If you are interested in sponsoring the creation of a Mega-search Engine for another area of interest, use our Contact page to discuss how you can do that…