The cemeteries of the former Zeyer, West Prussia have severely deteriorated over the years. Clearly the destruction of the Zeyer ev. Kirche by Russian bombardment did the most complete removal of burial sites. But time itself has eroded the Zeyer Mennonite burial grounds as well.
The photos below are what is left of both the Lutheran and Mennonite Cemeteries (2010).
All that remains of this burial ground is a marker placed there in 2009.
As evidenced by the photos, this burial ground has been left to the elements and time.
As Rainer wrote me:
- We follow a track on the left of a farm.
- In the distance, we see a small forest surrounded by fields … we think that’s it.
- Trees, bushes, sunken graves, cement frames of graves, one lonely grave stone of a Mrs. Wiehns, born Wienhs, died 1934 …
- An iron framework that served apparently for funeral ceremonies …
- Some remnants of a fence, that’s it. … a sunken world ..