Everyone one needs a good home. Your family website is no exception.
There are lots of reasons to choose one method over another, we have settled on having a company ISP- Internet Service Provider) run our web-site operations (data center and network) for us.
We tried running our own server in our home for several years before arriving at this junction. What we learned is:
- Internet bandwidth is an ever increasing problem as interest in a site improves. More people (visitors) need more bandwidth.
- Your site needs to be backed up regularly and have its contents stored off-site (or somewhere really safe).
- Uptime needs to be predictable. People get upset when your site is down for long periods. They want to visit when they want to visit.
- Running a server 24 hours a day costs electricity. Our electric costs ran about $10 per month.
- Unlimited Disk Space
- Unlimited Domain Names on one account
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Personal Website Tools
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- email accounts (smtp & pop service)
Whatever you choose, you need to find a safe home for your family genealogy materials, somplace secure, reliable, and offering good ethical values. Hostpapa works well for us and a $5.00 USD per month we find it to be a comfortable and affordable home.