This page is under development; research is on-going
Note: additional source materials are currently being obtained.
Adelgunde Kiehl History -as related to Mark Rabideau by Luise (Senger) Rabideau (Aledgunde’s grand daughter) Jan 2006
She was born to a family of barge owners (the Kiehl’s)– her birth record we know her birth to have been on the 6th of October 1850 and baptized on 9 October of 1850 near Graudenz Mittelbezirk Westpreussen.
- It is believed that her mother (Esther Adelgunde geboren Grindemann) died giving child birth.
- Her father (Erdmann Kiehl) is believed to have died 6 days after her birth.
- Adelgunde was raised by relatives (an uncle?) near Tiegenhof, Westpreussen.
- Her nickname was “Gundke”.
- When Adelgunde deemed herself of marriageable age she announced her interest in (advertised for) a husband in the local Newspaper (a common practice).
- Michael Senger applied and was considered appropriate.
- Adelgunde was the ‘brains’ in the family; she was a shrewd business woman and earned much of the Senger wealth through competent business practices.